Roasted Vegetable Naan Flatbread with Red Pepper Hummus. Sometimes I experiment with items on hand and I come up with a colorful and tasty dish. Isn’t that what cooking is all about? The weather is starting to cool down here in Virginia and I find myself wanting to roast vegetables already. A heated Naan flatbread is topped with roasted red pepper hummus, roasted broccoli, roasted mushrooms, roasted carrots and roasted onions. Sweet and savory balsamic syrup drizzle and a garnish of toasted pine nuts, toasted sliced almonds, and minced Italian parsley complete the dish.
Hummus is easy to make and freezes well. My plan was to make a hummus bowl with the same ingredients and serve it with pita triangles. My shopping trip to Trader Joe’s offered some lovely naan flatbreads. I’m also partial to Whole Foods Market’s garlic naan. Naan is a bit thicker and doughier than pita and more like a pizza base.
Looking through the freezer here at home, I found some roasted red peppers. I made some plain hummus according to my recipe and then removed half for a later date. To the remaining half of hummus, I added the cup of roasted red peppers and pureed until smooth.
Roasted vegetables are a great topping to a hummus-slathered naan flatbread, don’t you agree? Toss some quartered cremini mushrooms, broccoli florets, sliced onion, and diced carrots with a bit of olive oil and spread them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast the vegetables at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 – 45 minutes until they are starting to brown and are cooked through.
Warm two naan flatbreads for 10 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit until they get a bit crispy. You can brush the naan flatbreads with olive oil after warming if you wish. Spread some roasted red pepper hummus on the naan flatbreads. Arrange the roasted vegetables on top of the hummus. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar syrup over the vegetables. Top with toasted sliced almonds and toasted pine nuts. Trader Joe’s carries toasted sliced almonds and toasted pine nuts or you can toast the nuts yourself. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Any leftovers are very tasty chilled for lunch the next day. Also try my Easy Hummus Bowls as any of the combinations would be tasty on a naan flatbread.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Roasted Vegetable Naan Flatbread with Red Pepper Hummus
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 carrot, cut into 1/2 inch dice
4 oz. broccoli florets
4 oz. cremini mushroom caps, stems removed, and quartered
Pinch of sea salt
1 c roasted red pepper hummus (add a cup of roasted red bell peppers to My Favorite Hummus) or purchase your own
2 Naan flatbreads
1 T purchased balsamic vinegar syrup or use my recipe
1 T toasted pine nuts
1 T toasted sliced almonds
2 T chopped Italian parsley
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt.
3. Roast the vegetables until they start to brown slightly and are cooked through, 30 – 45 minutes depending on your oven.
4. Remove the vegetables from the oven and set aside.
5. Turn the oven down to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Warm the naan flatbreads on a cookie sheet until the flatbreads are slightly crispy.
7. Remove the naan flatbreads from the oven. You can lightly brush the flatbreads with some olive oil if you wish.
8. Cut each naan flatbread into quarters.
9. Spread each naan flatbread quarter with the roasted red pepper hummus.
10. Move the hummus-spread naan flatbread quarters to serving plates.
11. Top the hummus-spread flatbread quarters with the roasted vegetables, arranging the vegetables into an appealing design.
12. Drizzle the vegetables with the balsamic syrup.
13. Top the vegetables with the toasted pine nuts and toasted sliced almonds.
14. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve!
Makes 2 Naan flatbreads as a main course. Serves 4 as an accompaniment to a salad or soup.
Variations: Use a different mixture of vegetables for roasting. Try a flavored naan flatbread. Use regular hummus or a different flavored hummus such as my green pea hummus.
Order some naan flatbread from Whole Foods Market through Amazon:
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2019)