Italian Potato Salad. Summer picnics and barbecues are upcoming. Everyone wants to enjoy the warmer summer weather. What to take? Guests will bring their favorite side dish while the host usually provides the meats. The usual pasta salads, deviled eggs, baked beans, and mayo-based potato salads will grace the buffet tables. My Italian Potato Salad with Sundried Tomato Dressing is a more unique version of the usual potato salad.
Potato salad has its origins in Europe. German potato salad usually has a clear vinegar-based dressing. Potato salad made in other countries tends to have mayonnaise-based dressing.
My Italian Potato Salad is simple to make with a vinegar-based dressing. Just cook some potatoes in a pot filled with enough water to cover them.
Drain and cool the potatoes. Then peel and dice them.
Toss the diced potatoes in a bowl with some red wine vinegar.
Add some diced red bell pepper, finely chopped shallot, and quartered black olives.
Add some chopped basil, chopped parsley, and chopped oregano.
Toss with my Sundried Tomato Dressing and shredded parmesan, let sit in the fridge for a few hours.
Garnish with a sprig of parsley and serve!
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Italian Potato Salad
5 lbs red or yellow potatoes, unpeeled
1 T red wine vinegar
pinch of salt
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely diced
20 pitted black olives, quartered lengthwise
1 T finely chopped fresh basil or 1 t dried basil
2 T finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 t dried parsley
1/2 T finely chopped fresh Italian oregano or 1/2 t dried oregano
1 c Sundried Tomato Dressing
1/4 c shredded Parmesan
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parsley sprigs and additional shredded Parmesan cheese to garnish
1. Wash and scrub the potatoes and put them into a pot.
2. Fill the pot with water to cover the potatoes by an inch or more.
3. Add a pinch of salt.
4. Over high heat, bring the potatoes to a boil.
5. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender.
6. Drain the potatoes and cool them on a cutting board.
7. Carefully peel the potatoes and then dice them into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a non-metallic bowl.
8. Sprinkle the potatoes with the red wine vinegar and pinch of salt and stir to combine.
9. Add the chopped shallot, diced bell pepper, quartered black olives, basil, parsley, oregano, sundried tomato dressing, and parmesan. Stir to combine.
10. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
11. Garnish with parsley sprigs and additional shredded Parmesan cheese and serve!
Makes about 8 cups of potato salad. Serve as a side dish with some grilled Italian sausages or my Hearty Meatball Sandwich. This salad travels well for picnics.
Variations: Add some mini mozzarella balls. Serve this potato salad as a warm main course with hot sliced cooked Italian sausages mixed in. Serve over a bed of salad greens for a vegetarian main course. You could add some diced salami, pepperoni, or cooked bacon bits for a different flavor.
Take along this pretty potato salad serving bowl with lid and serving utensils from Amazon.com:
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2016)