Killer Beet Green White Bean Penne. Fresh beet greens have historically ended up either with my next door farm neighbors who love beet greens, chopped up in my fresh salads, or headed to the compost pile if they arrive overly wilted or damaged. Recently, I bought some gorgeous organic red beets at the grocery store. The associated beet greens were very lovely this time — fresh and crisp rather than wilted. I just had to do something wonderful with those beautiful beet greens this time.
My Killer Beet Green White Bean Penne is a simple pasta dish that doesn’t take long to prepare. Just a little chopping and some quick simmering and also cooking some penne. Cooked penne is tossed with sauteed onion and garlic along with dry white wine, vegetable stock, chopped parsley, cannellini beans, beet greens and lemon juice. Top with a drizzle of balsamic syrup, shredded Parmesan cheese, finely chopped parsley, and toasted pine nuts.
I like to use penne for this recipe. You can use either regular or whole grain penne. The “bite” of the whole grain penne is my favorite.
Start out by cooking some penne. Drain and set aside when done. Then chop some onion and saute in some olive oil. Add some minced garlic.
Deglaze the pan with some dry white wine.
Add vegetable stock.
Add chopped parsley.
Add some white cannellini beans.
Add some fresh lemon juice.
Add the cooked and drained penne to the pan and toss.
Chop the beet greens and add to the penne.
Let the beet greens wilt a bit, stirring to warm through. Season with salt and pepper.
Plate the Killer Beet Green White Bean Penne.
Add a drizzle of balsamic syrup, shredded parmesan and toasted pine nuts.
And garnish with some minced parsley.
This penne dish is “Killer” because I think it’s a pretty original recipe that unexpectedly tastes great. You can add some chopped cooked chicken for your meat-loving friends.
My Killer Beet Green White Bean Penne is a plant-based recipe if you omit the Parmesan cheese. Use your fave vegan “Parmesan” cheese or just sprinkle some nooch on top.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Killer Beet Green White Bean Penne
8 oz. regular or whole wheat penne (cook to instructions, al dente)
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c dry white wine
2 c vegetable stock
1 T coarsley chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 can (14oz) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 T lemon juice
2 c chopped beet greens, thick stems removed if you don’t like them (rinse well and dry before chopping)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 T Balsamic Vinegar Syrup for drizzling
1/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese (or your favorite vegan cheese)
2 T finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 T toasted pine nuts (Trader Joes carries dry-toasted pine nuts or you can toast your own pine nuts slowly in a pan over low heat)
1. Cook the penne following the package instructions. When it’s ready, drain it and set aside.
2. While the penne is cooking, warm some olive oil in a chef’s pan over medium low heat.
3. Saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent.
4. Add the minced garlic, stir, and saute a minute or so.
5. Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Let the alcohol burn off for a minute or so.
6. Add the vegetable stock, parsley, cannellini beans, and lemon juice. Let cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add the drained penne and cook until warmed through.
8. Add the beet greens and stir until the beet greens start to wilt.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Divide the killer beet green white bean penne amongst 4 serving dishes.
11. Top each with a drizzle of balsamic syrup, and a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan, chopped parsley, toasted pine nuts and serve.
Variations: Add some cooked chicken or even chicken sausage to this plant-based dish. Use a vegan cheese instead of shredded Parmesan. Add some arugula leaves for a peppery taste.
Order some organic white cannellini beans from Amazon.com:
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2018)