The Best Creamy Chicken Pasta with Peas, Carrots, and Mushrooms. When my husband and I first met, he would make this delicious creamy chicken pasta dish for me often. It became one of my favorites and is a regular on our weeknight menus. I just realized recently that this beloved recipe wasn’t here on A Food Lover’s Delight — until now. In fact, this recipe is so good that I asked my husband to make it for my birthday dinner recently!
Traditionally, my husband uses penne pasta for this dish. He’s also made it with rigatoni. You could use any other pasta shape and even a hearty cheese tortellini or mini-raviolis. I like pasta with “holes” so it will absorb the sauce.
Cook the penne according to the package directions while you are making the sauce. Drain and set aside when the penne is al dente.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are cubed and sauteed in garlicky butter until cooked through.
Slice some carrot, shallots, and mushrooms. Using the same pan, saute the vegetables in butter.
The garlicky chicken is then simmered with the mushrooms, carrots, and shallots in a white wine, chicken stock, and heavy cream sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly. Add some peas and simmer a few minutes so the peas can cook through.
Add the cooked penne to the pan. Toss the chicken and veggies and sauce in the pan with the cooked pasta.
Plate the creamy chicken pasta.
Sprinkle some shredded Parmesan over the top.
Add a sprinkling of finely chopped Italian parsley.
Serve the best creamy chicken pasta in a lovely dish with garlic toast and a salad.
Hope everyone is cooking up a storm during this COVID-19 pandemic. Please stay safe!
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
The Best Creamy Chicken Pasta with Peas, Carrots and Mushrooms
16 oz. penne, rigatoni, rotini or your favorite pasta
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
2 T butter, divided
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 c dry white wine
2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 c peeled and thinly sliced or diced carrots (1/2 inch dice)
2 c chicken stock
12 cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced thinly
1 c frozen peas
1/4 c heavy cream
2 T shredded parmesan
2 T finely chopped Italian parsley, to garnish
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, dice the chicken breasts into inch sized cubes.
3. Season the chicken cubes with salt and pepper.
4. Melt 1 T butter in a skillet over medium heat.
5. Sear the chicken cubes on all sides until they are cooked through.
6. Add the garlic when the chicken is cooked and toss together in the skillet for a few minutes.
7. Remove the chicken cubes from the skillet to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm.
8. Deglaze the skillet with the white wine, scraping up the browned bits.
9. Add the other tablespoon of butter to the skillet.
10. Saute the shallots and carrots until the carrots have softened and the shallots are translucent.
11. Add the mushrooms, the sauteed chicken cubes and the chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium low heat until the sauce has reduced a bit.
12. Stir in the heavy cream and reduce a bit more. The sauce should be creamy.
13. Add the peas and let them cook for a few minutes.
14. Stir in the cooked pasta and warm through.
15. Transfer to serving bowls or plates, top with shredded parmesan and finely chopped parsley, and serve!
Makes 4 servings. Offer with garlic toast and a side Caesar salad. A nice dry white or rose wine goes great with this dish.
Variations: Use turkey breast instead of chicken. Add some cooked broccoli florets or some fresh spinach leaves. Serve over rice instead of pasta. If you like this sauce, make extra sauce to freeze. Then thaw, heat through, and toss with cooked pasta.
Get a nice large pot from Amazon (I have this one):
Order some pretty pasta plates from Amazon:
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2020)