Quite a number of my successful recipes originate via my refrigerator’s current contents. What’s available already, and what can I pull together for a great meal? Pasta Fagioli comes together very quickly for a year-round weeknight dinner! It’s made with ingredients that you’ll likely have in your kitchen.
The lasagnettes above can be purchased in gourmet food shops. You can also use penne or wagon wheels or fusilli. I prefer the lasagnettes because they are delicate and add a nice touch to the dish.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Pasta Fagioli (Pasta with White Beans)
6 oz. pasta, such as lasagnettes, cooked
4 T butter, divided in half
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed
1/2 c fresh or canned diced tomatoes
1/2 c whole Kalamata olives or canned black olives, halved lengthwise
1 can (15 oz) chicken stock/broth
1/4 c dry white wine
1/4 c shredded parmesan
1 T sage, cut thinly into chiffonade
1. Cook the pasta in boiling water in a large stockpot while preparing the “sauce”.
2. Melt 2T butter with the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet or Chef’s pan.
3. Saute the onion in the butter until transluscent.
4. Add the cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, olives, chicken stock/broth and white wine, stir, and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, covered.
5. Add the cooked pasta and heat a few minutes, uncovered, stirring often.
6. Stir in the remaining 2T butter until butter is melted.
7. Divide the pasta and sauce mixture amongst 4 plates or bowls.
8. Sprinkle with the parmesan and the sage chiffonade.
Serves 4 as a pasta course or 2 as a main course. Offer a piece of cheesy garlic toast or sliced crusty bread with the pasta to sop up the sauce.
Variations: Add some minced garlic if you like a garlicky pasta dish. Substitute vegetable stock/broth for the chicken stock/broth. Add more stock/broth if you like a soupier dish. Omit the white wine and replace with more broth if you are abstaining from alcohol. And substitute fresh basil for the sage.
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2012)