Simple Smoked Salmon Appetizer. My Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Spread on Pumpernickel is a ridiculously easy appetizer that’s sure to impress your friends. This pretty pink smoked salmon nibble is tasty and rich and perfect for a party.
My Simple Smoked Salmon Appetizer uses a base spread of smoked salmon, cream cheese, creme fraiche, and orange juice. Smear this salmon spread on small squares of soft or hard pumpernickel bread.
My Simple Smoked Salmon Appetizer also works well as an accompaniment to my Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche on Endive Spears appetizer for a smoked salmon theme. Or, combine the two into a smoked salmon spread on endive spears!
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Simple Smoked Salmon Appetizer
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T creme fraiche
1 T fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 oz smoked salmon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, and a bit more chopped for garnish
Pumpernickel bread, thinly sliced (about 1/4 inch thick)
1 T chives, finely chopped or a few sprigs dill, for garnish
1. Cut the pumpernickel bread into 1.5 inch bite-sized squares if not already bite-size.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, creme fraiche and orange juice until soft and spreadable.
3. Add the smoked salmon, and incorporate into the spread.
4. Spread a small amount of the cream cheese mixture onto a piece of pumpernickel.
5. Top the spread with a small piece of smoked salmon.
6. Sprinkle a few chives or dill sprigs over each of the smoked salmon pieces.
7. Repeat until you are out of the cream cheese spread, or the pumpernickel, whichever comes first.
8. Arrange on a pretty plate and serve!
Makes 24 bite-size appetizers. Plan for 4 – 6 pieces per person as an appetizer, less if just passing as a nibble. Double or triple the recipe above if you need more.
Variations: Use sour cream if you cannot find creme fraiche. Use crackers instead of pumpernickel. If you want to lighten up the recipe, use nonfat cream cheese.
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2012)