Pesto Turkey Meatball Sandwich. My neighbor grows oregano, parsley, and basil in her garden. Like me, she’ll have an abundance of herbs at the end of the growing season. We both use the herb surplus to make pesto. I’m always looking for new ways to use pesto and came up with this Pesto Turkey Meatball Sandwich.
You don’t have to wait until the end of the growing season to try my Pesto Turkey Meatball Sandwich. This sandwich is similar to my Hearty Meatball Sandwich except that pesto is used for the sauce. It doesn’t take much pesto to make a good sauce. I make a variety of pestos depending on my ingredients at the time. My easy Basil Arugula Pesto and Spring Mix Pesto are probably my favorites.
For this recipe, I use my Easy Turkey Meatballs. You can use my meatball recipe, make your own, or buy premade meatballs.
Start by lighly toasting some sandwich rolls under the broiler and then set them aside. Heat some pre-cooked meatballs in a saute pan with some butter.
When the meatballs are warmed through, stir in some pesto.
Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like a bit of extra heat. Assemble the sandwiches by placing an equal number of meatballs on each roll. Drizzle the remaining pesto sauce over the meatballs. Cover the meatballs with some shredded mozzarella cheese. Broil the sandwiches until the cheese melts, and serve!
This is such a gorgeous sandwich that you might not want to eat it. Just kidding.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Pesto Turkey Meatball Sandwich
2 sandwich or sub rolls, split
2 T butter
8 – 12 pre-cooked Easy Turkey Meatballs
1/4 c homemade pesto or store-bought pesto
1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Lighly toast the sandwich rolls under the broiler and then set them aside.
2. Heat the butter in a saute pan over medium-low heat.
3. Add the pre-cooked meatballs and lightly saute in the butter.
4. When the meatballs are warmed through, stir in the pesto and the optional red pepper flakes.
5. Assemble the sandwiches by placing an equal number of meatballs on each roll.
6. Spoon the remaining sauce over the meatballs and spread onto the sandwich rolls.
7. Cover the meatballs with some shredded mozzarella cheese.
8. Broil the sandwiches in the oven until the cheese melts taking care not to burn the edges of the rolls.
9. Place each sandwich on a serving plate, cut in half to reveal that pesto, and serve!
Makes two tasty meatball sandwiches. Offer with a side salad such as my Insalata Caprese or a light Simple Cucumber Salad.
Variations: Use your favorite beef, veal, chicken, or other meatballs. Substitute olive oil for the butter. Omit the cheese if you are watching your dairy intake. Add some sliced fresh tomato and/or some sliced sauteed mushrooms to the sandwiches before you add the cheese.
Buy a large supply of frozen turkey meatballs at Amazon.com:
And order some pesto to keep on hand if you don’t have time to make it yourself.
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2016)