Simple Oven Baked Potato Fries. Who doesn’t love crispy fries? In trying to eat healthier, these simple oven baked potato fries are slightly better than potatoes deep-fried in oil. I like to serve these fries with my favorite Burgers and my Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich. These fries are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside — my favorites for dipping into ketchup or my flavored mayonnaises or just eating on their own.
Potato fries, usually known as “French fries,” are well loved all over the world. In France, “frites” are usually fried twice and then served with hanger steak in a popular dish known as Steak Frites. In Holland, crispy potato fries are dipped into mayonnaise — one of my favorite European foods. In England, fries are called “chips” and are sprinkled with malt vinegar. In Canada, fries are the base of a fried potato, gravy, and cheese curd treat called poutine. Another popular “fry” is the sweet potato fry. Sweet potatoes can definitely be used in this recipe. My fries are basic and can be dressed up with herbs and spices or just dipped into fantastic sauces.
How to make my Simple Oven Baked Potato Fries? Slice a large russet or sweet potato lengthwise into similar size fries.
Put the fries into a bowl and sprinkle with salt.
Optionally, you can also toss the fries with a small amount of olive oil or your favorite oil.
Spread the fries in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes. Turn each fry over using tongs at least once during the baking time.
Bake until the fries are golden brown on each side.
When the fries are golden brown and crispy on both sides, remove the pan from the oven.
Using the tongs, transfer the fries to serving plates.
Sprinkle the fries with your favorite chopped herbs or shredded Parmesan cheese.
Also try sweet potato oven fries with my Juicy Turkey Burger.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Simple Oven Baked Potato Fries
2 large russet or sweet potatoes, well-scrubbed to remove dirt
2 t salt, divided
2 T olive oil (optional)
2 T finely chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, parsley, or chives
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper (so the potato slices won’t stick).
3. Cut the potatoes into slices trying to keep them equal sized if possible.
4. Put the potato slices into a large bowl.
5. Sprinkle the potato slices with salt and toss to combine.
6. Toss the potato slices with the olive oil (optional step).
7. Spread the potato slices out onto the parchment paper on the baking sheet in one layer.
8. Bake the potato slices for about 30 – 45 minutes turning as they brown on each side.
9. When the potato slices are crispy and golden brown on their flesh sides, remove them from the oven.
10. Divide the potato slices amongst serving plates.
11. Sprinkle with remaining salt and the finely chopped fresh herbs.
12. And serve!
Makes about 20 potato fries. Serve as a side dish with sandwiches or grilled steak. Offer with ketchup or one of my flavored dipping sauces.
Variations: Use red or yellow potatoes instead of russets or sweet potatoes. Toss the fries with truffle oil after baking and before serving. Sprinkle the fries with shredded Parmesan or your favorite cheese(s). For “nacho fries,” top with my chile con queso with smoky chipotles and some sliced jalapenos.
Get some cute fry servers at Amazon.com:
Order a non-stick Silpat baking mat for your baking sheet:
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2018)