My Buttery Orzo Pasta with Dates, Shallots, and Red Bell Pepper is an easy and tasty side dish. It’s also a great bed for your favorite grilled fish or meat. Double the recipe and serve as a vegetarian main course.
Cook some orzo pasta in a pot and drain it. Saute some diced shallots and red bell pepper in some butter. Add some chopped dates to the shallots and bell pepper saute, then combine the mixture with the cooked and drained orzo pasta. Add some minced cilantro and a bit of butter, stir, and serve.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Buttery Orzo Pasta with Dates, Shallots and Red Bell Pepper
1 c orzo pasta
3 c water
2 T butter
1/4 c chopped shallots
4 dates, pits removed, and finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, and finely diced
2 T cilantro, minced
Additional 2 T butter, divided
1. Cook the orzo pasta in a pan in boiling water according to the package directions.
2. While the orzo is cooking, melt the 2 T butter in a skillet. Saute the shallots until slightly caramelized. Add the red bell pepper and cook 2 minutes more. Add the dates and cook another 2 – 4 minutes until warmed through.
3. Drain the orzo and return to its pan.
4. Stir in the shallot, bell pepper, and date mixture.
5. Stir in an additional 1 T butter and the cilantro.
Serves 2 – 4 as a side dish. Use as a bed for your favorite grilled fish.
Variations: Substitute coconut oil for the butter for a tropical flavor. Add a splash of freshly squeezed orange juice before serving.
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2014)