Just Egg Vegan Breakfast Tacos. Several of my friends are following vegan diets or are limiting animal products in their diets. I was interested to try the Just Egg plant-based egg substitute which is made from mung beans. My husband and I are already fans of Just Mayo which is an eggless mayonnaise yet has become hard to find in my area. Same with Just Egg which was supposed to be in Whole Foods Markets nationwide but hadn’t shown up in my area. Finally, I found the Just Egg product on the shelf at my local Safeway grocery store.
The plant-based Just Egg surprised me in how much the cooked texture is like “real” scrambled eggs. The taste is buttery which was also a bit of a surprise. When Just Egg is offered in a breakfast taco or on a breakfast sandwich, I’m betting that real egg eaters may not suspect the difference.
I really like breakfast tacos so I substituted Just Egg in my usual breakfast taco recipe. Let’s hope my vegan friends also like this recipe. It’s simple to make and pretty quick. Just preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrap some flour tortillas in foil and warm them in the oven. Then quarter some cherry tomatoes and chop some cilantro. Scramble the Just Egg mixture and divide it amongst the warmed flour tortillas. Add some green chile taco sauce, vegan Mexican cheese shreds, vegan sour cream, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro.
Fold the tortillas over and serve.
I believe that the Just Egg product offers anyone who either can’t or won’t eat chicken eggs a new option for their diet.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
Just Egg Vegan Breakfast Tacos
2 soft taco size flour tortillas
6 T Just Egg liquid vegan egg substitute (found at Safeway and Whole Foods Markets nationwide)
2 T green chile taco sauce
1/4 c vegan Mexican cheese shreds
2 T vegan sour cream
6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 T chopped cilantro
1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven.
3. In a non-stick skillet over very low heat, cook the Just Egg liquid. It will scramble very quickly so be sure you stir it and pay attention. I did not use any oil as it didn’t seem to need it.
4. When the Just Egg has scrambled, keep it warm.
5. Remove the tortillas from the oven and place them on serving plates.
6. Divide the scrambled Just Egg between the tortillas.
7. Add the green chile sauce, vegan cheese shreds, vegan sour cream, cherry tomatoes, and top with cilantro.
8. Fold the tortillas over and serve!
Makes 2 tacos. Offer with a side of refried beans or a fruit salad for a heartier breakfast.
Variations: Add some sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, and minced sweet onion. Add some vegan sausage or black beans for additional flavor. Heat the flour tortillas on a microwave-safe plate (without foil) in the microwave on high for 30 seconds instead of heating up the oven. Use your favorite taco sauce instead of the green chile sauce.
Order a non-stick skillet set from Amazon:
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2019)