Pizza is a popular menu item in almost every home across the US. My Easy Pizza Dough recipe offers a from-scratch pizza base that you can top with healthy (or not so healthy) toppings.
Whether you like a pizza with pepperoni and cheese, lots of vegetables, or even a specialty pizza with exotic toppings, the pizza dough base is the most important part of the pizza. My recipe uses a bit of wheat bran for texture. You could also add some dried Italian herb seasoning or grated Parmesan cheese to the dough for a zesty pizza pie base.
Up until a few months ago, I’d been using a dough recipe that had olive oil in it. The dough turned out a bit more like a focaccia dough than a regular pizza dough. Then, I formed this recipe which is more what I’ve been seeking in a crispy pizza crust.
The longer you let the dough sit, and rise, the better the crust. This recipe calls for 10 – 15 minutes yet I’ve let the dough sit for up to an hour, punching it down at least once.
Just roll it out onto a greased pizza pan or baking sheet and top it with your favorite pizza toppings and bake!
Check out my posting on a Pizza Topping Bar for ideas on pizza toppings.
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight
Easy Pizza Dough
2 c flour, divided
1/4 c wheat bran (optional)
1 T yeast
1/4 t sea salt
1 T sugar
2/3 – 1 c lukewarm water (about 105 degrees Fahrenheit)
1. Using an electric mixer with a dough hook (such as a KitchenAid), or using your hands, mix 1 cup of the flour with the optional wheat bran, yeast, sea salt sugar, and 2/3 c of water. If using the electric mixer, run at a low speed and stop to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. If using your hands, put in some of that elbow grease to make a great pizza crust.
2. Gradually add the second cup of flour until the mixture forms a ball. Add more water if necessary.
3. Knead the dough with your hands or the mixer until it is pliable and soft.
4. Let the dough rest for 10 – 15 minutes in a bowl in a warm location. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a dish towel to keep it warm.
5. Punch down the dough and knead it a bit then spread/roll it out onto a greased baking sheet or pizza pan.
6. Top with pizza sauce and your favorite toppings.
7. Bake at 375 degrees in a preheated oven for up to 15 minutes
Makes one 16 inch round pizza dough.
Variations: Add a tablespoon of dried Italian herbs to the dough. Add some grated or shredded Parmesan cheese to the dough.
Or get yourself an outdoor pizza oven!
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2015)