Creamy Coleslaw just has to be on my picnic table. Finely shredded crisp cabbage and sweet carrots combine with unexpected cucumber, tarragon, and a dash of cinnamon for a refreshing side dish on a hot summer day, or as a remembrance of summer in the wintertime!
Serve this creamy coleslaw with burgers, grilled chicken and Havarti sandwiches, or even BBQ pork sliders for a fantastic weeknight meal. Be sure to use the cinnamon as it imparts a distinctive flavor to this recipe.
Substitute purple cabbage for the green cabbage or use both and you have a pretty purple dish!
From the kitchen of A Food Lover’s Delight….
1 small head green and/or purple cabbage, finely shredded
2 large carrots, grated or shredded
1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 whole scallions, thinly sliced
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
1/4 c fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 T fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 c sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
2 T honey
1 T red wine vinegar
1/2 t ground cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine cabbage, carrot, cucumber, scallions, celery, parsley, and tarragon in a large non-metallic bowl.
2. Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, red wine vinegar, and cinnamon.
3. Add mayonnaise mixture to vegetable slaw. Mix well to coat.
4. Refrigerate in non-metallic bowl for at least 6 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Flavors become more pronounced the longer they sit in the refrigerator.
5. To serve, season with salt and pepper, and spoon onto plates.
Serves 4 – 6 as a side dish. Be sure to serve chilled for best flavor.
Variations: Use low-fat mayo or fat-free sour cream. The substitution of Greek yogurt for the sour cream adds a nice tang. The fresh tarragon provides a distinctive flavor — if you can’t find fresh, use 1/4 t dried tarragon. If you don’t like fresh tarragon, use more parsley. You can also substitute fresh chives or fresh basil for the tarragon.
www.afoodloversdelight.com (Copyright Adroit Ideals 2013)